PRINCIPLES OF MICHA-ELIC EDUCATION
Micha-elic education is based on the work and indications of Rudolf Steiner. However, Rudolf Steiner asked his followers not to use his name for the education, and Waldorf is a name for the cigarette company whose workers were parents of many of the children who attended the first school in Stuttgart, Germany. The etymology of which seems to refer to a village [dorf] in the woods [wald]. It also later gave its name to a chain of hotels and a salad. Micha-el is the spirit of the present age and seems most appropriate as the education is specifically geared to people of this time.
SUMMARY OF PRINCIPLES
SUMMARY OF PRINCIPLES
- Keeping a living connection with the Soul and Spirit by teachers and parents working in freedom to educate children so that the children in their future adult life, can develop an inner sincerity which will enable them to form judgments through logic, artistic endeavor and strength of will.
- Developing Consciousness of working with the third hierarchy [angels, archangels and Archai] by communities and individuals having earnest conversations and understanding each other’s biographies. The main tasks of the third Hierarchy can be simply understood as: Angels guiding each human self through their incarnations; Archangels the spiritual impulse guiding each group of mankind; Archai – the spirit of the time.
- Developing an understanding that people of the world at present view things in a materialistically logical manner especially in the Western hemisphere. We therefore need to re-interpret our thinking life with an abundance of feeling and will, and base our education on the whole human being.
- Note that it is most important who a teacher is rather than what he or she thinks or knows. This often depends on our values and principles of Self which in the twentieth century was epitomized in a person’s 'vocation,' or we could say that which 'we honestly strive for.'
- Our examples and analogies should be organic. The world viewed through Anthroposophy needs to be a living, breathing organism. It is an organic whole and from there we can analyse it into parts. It is not a static item build out of parts. All analogies should be organic if they are to be living! Steiner explained that the world is not made out of dead parts, magically brought to life, but the physical world and mankind are the offshoot of the spiritual world with specific developmental tasks.
- All students whether they be teachers or parents need to process Steiner’s ideas through their own understanding, feeling and deeds; they must make the ideas in Anthroposophy their own and be able to explain and defend what they have worked through for themselves. This does not apply to children’s and teenager’s thoughts. What is most important is what they themselves believe, think and know, and do not use Steiner as an external authority; such as “Der Doktor hat gesagt . . . .” Individual humans need to identify with what they are propounding.
- Each teacher finds her own way to bring the spirit into the world by adapting Steiner’s indications to the children she has in her care.
- All teaching must be imbued with humanity, which means it has to be artistic.
- Higher education should now be thoroughly imbued with feelings and willing deeds; head-only knowledge is arid and lifeless. Now is the time to change and put humanity at the center of the world.
- Let us now emphasize the differences between Micha-elic education and conventional schools. Micha-el schools are not just good schools, but schools coming from a different understanding of the world. In Micha-el schools, education is based on giving children and adults what is appropriate for their needs to the fullest extent of the teacher's understanding.
- Teachers who work with Steiner’s indications need to learn how to work with the sleep life and with the breathing. Working with the sleep life involves using the three-day rhythm. First day, giving imaginations for students to take in to their sleep life to work with their angel. Second day, recalling – discovering how that work with the angel was, and then developing that often through performance or visual arts. Third day, imprinting the lessons learned through engaging the will. Breathing involves lifting the ego in and out in the learning process as in “meditatively acquired Knowledge of Man” also translated as “Balance in Teaching."
- Steiner’s indications are a source of life. Michaelic education is just one river in the ‘water cycle’. This means that it is not exclusive but may be inclusive. In other words, Michael is not the only river on the planet bringing sustenance from the spirit to the earth, the teaching and expounding of others may be of like value.